Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Ministry of Social Security, National Solidarity and Environment and Sustainable Development


Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How to register as employer/job contractor?
A. The person has to call at the Registrar of businesses/companies to
register as employer.
All relevant NPS documents will be sent to him by post.
Q. Why can't one have the option between refund of contributions
and contributory retirement pension?
A. Because NPF contributions are meant to provide for an income stream
during retirement, while contributions to the NSF are refunded as a
Q. Explain what are the NPF, NSF amounts meant for?
A. NPF includes the amount contributed by both employers(6%) and
employees (3%).
NSF is Payable at the rate of 2.5% of basic wages in respect of all employees both in
the Private and Public Sector.
An additional NSF Contributions at the rate of 1% of basic wage is Payable by
employees who are insured Persons in the National Pension Scheme.
Q. How to know whether employers are contributing or not?
A. Employees may call at local Social Security offices with his National Identity Card
Number to obtain a National Pensions Account which shows all contributions standing
to the Account of the employee.
Q. What to do if employers have not contributed?
A. Employees can contact visiting officers at regional social security offices.
An enquiry will be carried out into the liability of the employer and prosecution
will be resorted to, if need be.
Q. How will one benefit from the fund at retirement?
A. By receiving a contributory pension based on previous contributions and
a lump sum from the National Savings Fund.
Q. What will happen to the contributions if the person dies?
A. The wife can apply for the Contributory Widows Pension, based on the
contributions of the husband, or the husband can ask for a refund of
his wife's contributions (3%).
Q. What are the floors and ceilings for contributions payable?
A. Self-employed and non-employed
Floors: Rs 160
B. Non-Domestic employees
Floors: Rs 2 550 Ceiling: Rs 16 655
C. Domestic employees
Floors: Rs 1610 Ceiling: Rs 16 655
Q. What are the rates of contributions for employees/employers?
Sugar Industry
Employees contributes 3%
Employers contributes 10.5%
Employees contributes 3%
Employers contributes 6%
Q. Do expatriates contribute? How?
A. Yes, but only after two years of residence in Mauritius.

As from 01/01/2014 , for those who are NOT working in the export manufacturing enterprises and for other sectors,contributions are payable as from the first day of employment.
Q. Are contribution payable for people at retirement age and above? How?
A. Contributions of all items that is NPF,NSF & LEVY are payable until the employee reaches
retirement age.
If an employee is employed after he has obtained retirement age, the employer's share of
Contributions (6% or 10.5 %) and the HRDC levy (1.5%) by the employer are Payable for a
maximum period of 5 yrs after the Retirement age.
Q. Documents to be produced for registration of :
§  Birth Certificate
§  Identity Card
§  Marriage Certificate (for married women)
§  Bank Account No. (Optional)
§  1 passport size photo
Application should be made 3 months in advance so that payment of pension may be made in time
(ii) BASIC WIDOWS PENSION (Payable to widows under 60)
§  Birth Certificate
§  Identity Card
§  Marriage Certificate
§  Death Certificate
§  Bank Account No. (Optional)
§  Certificate of late husband
(iii) BASIC INVALIDITY PENSION (between 15 to 60 years)
§  Birth Certificate
§  Identity Card
§  Marriage Certificate (for married women)
§  Bank Account No. (Optional)
§  Medical Certificate
§  1 passport size photo
(iv) BASIC ORPHANS PENSION (Up to the age of 15 or 20 if in full-time education)
§  Death Certificate of Parents
§  Birth Certificate of Orphans and Parents
§  Proficiency Certificate (15+) if at school
Q. What happens if someone gets injured at work?
A. If someone gets injured at work and he has been contributing to the NPS, he must put up a claim for industrial injury allowance at the Social Security Office nearest his residence.
He must produce his Birth Certificate, Identity Card, Photocopy of Medical Certificate, and bank account no. (optional). The employer pays full wages for the first two weeks. As from the third week, the Ministry will pay an Industrial Injury Allowance equivalent to 80 per cent of the insurable wage of the employee, on production of a medical certificate from the treating doctor.


Subscribe to newsletter

Subscribe to the monthly newsletter, to be informed of the latest news portal, and new services added.